Monday, March 30, 2009

Yet another snow day.

DSC_2675
It started snowing last night.

Had this been in November or December, this would have been the most beautiful snow of the year. The wind wasn't blowing (yet). The flakes were huge and hanging in the air. But ... here we are, late March, anxious for spring and summer, still very worried about flooding ... so all snow is ugly. Very ugly.

DSC_2648
Since last night, so far we've received 14.5 inches of snow. And it's still snowing. (The table and deck were dry and clean yesterday afternoon).

Work was cancelled today. Corey took my car to work because the snow was so deep that his car would have gotten stuck. I'm snowed in at home. Our totally awesome neighbors used their snowblowers and cleared our driveway. Corey should be able to get back in the garage after work. Thank you neighbors!

DSC_2657
I decided to take some photos of my authentic winter survival gear, our new snow, and some other randoms that I happened to come across while wandering around the house.


Before this year, it had been over 15 years since the University of Mary cancelled class/work. Caitlyn and I tried to count how many snow days we've had this year. I think today marks six. Crazy.

DSC_2658
This is my friend Heet. In the winter, I pour Heet in my gas tank after every fill up. It keeps my car running on the coldest of winter days. It's a gas line antifreeze and water remover. Thank you Heet! Corey and I buy this by the six-pack.

DSC_2666
This, my friends, is our sump pump hole. For some reason I kinda feel like showing this is like showing my underwear. To those of you that don't know about the wonderful world of sump pump holes ... since we have a basement and we live in a low-lying area, there is ground water. This ground water would seep into the basement if we didn't have one of these. The process takes the water from the ground around the house and filters it into this hole in our basement (through the black tubes). When the water reaches a certain height, the pump kicks in and the water is pumped out (though the white pipes).

DSC_2664
Since I'm the paranoid type, we also have an electronic, battery back-up sump pump. This pump will kick-in in cases of power outages, pump failure or if the water is flowing in too fast for the main pump to keep up. With the spring we've had, we have become very thankful for our sump pumps. Thank you trusty sump pumps!

DSC_2672
DVDs. Thank goodness for cheap entertainment.

DSC_2660
Wine. Lots of wine. There's just nothin' like a good bottle of red wine the night of a blizzard.

DSC_2669
This is a random photo. This is my quilting room post-evacuation. It's not really usable right now, but after the snow is all gone, I'll get it reorganized and resume my quilting hobby. Until the flooding threat is gone, my beloved sewing room will stay like this.

DSC_2655
I bought this book about two years ago but never got around to reading it. It's about pioneer families in the Dakotas during a horrific blizzard in 1888. I may have to read this one soon - I might need to learn a thing or two from these pioneers.

DSC_2651
Knitting has definitely been a winter survival tool for me. It keeps me calm. Here is the latest photo of my progress of the diagonal-stripe blanket. It just keeps getting cuter.

DSC_2653
Watching my Easter batch of wheat grass grow has been a good distraction from the weather. Yay for seeing green! I saw a few birds fly through our yard yesterday. I squealed with delight at seeing something alive outside.

Spring is here, believe it or not.

2 comments:

Cheryl Arkison said...

Sigh, same story here in Calgary.

We are finally getting a sump pump this year. The pit is there, but no pump yet. All in the hopes that there will be no evacuation once the basement is finished - and my studio stays in tact!

Robin (rsislandcrafts) said...

That's too much snow for March!!

When we lived in upstate New York we loved our sump pump. Couldn't live there without it.

Post a Comment