Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Tuesday afternoon update

The river is less than three inches from flood stage. It's estimated that the river will rise another 12 inches by midnight tonight. The entire Southport and Fox Island areas of Bismarck have been evacuated. If you're not familiar with Bismarck, the area that has been evacuated are homes that border the river. 

We are located two miles east of those homes. The thing about Bismarck is that it's really flat. Although we're two miles east, it's not much in terms of higher ground. Actually, it may even be lower. And there is a (very full) drainage ditch about 1/2 block from our house. What happens if that over-flows? What happens when the river floods and this has no place to drain?

There is talk of using some sort of explosives and salt to break up the ice jam. That's all fine and dandy except that we're in a blizzard and no helicopters will fly until (at the earliest) tomorrow. Until then, we wait and pray.

We're still in our house for the time being. 

We've got two sump pumps in our basement (one is a backup on a battery) and we've got a few buckets of water filled in case the water is shut off. I filled nylons with oatmeal to plug drains if the sewer backs up - although I'm still not sure exactly how to "install" these.  Corey is busy shoveling our driveway of the seven inches of snow that has fallen. 

We've got our escape planned in case we're evacuated. 

I keep thinking I'm going to wake up and this will all be a crazy nightmare. I still can't believe it "THE RIVER BACKED UP!" ... in my wildest dreams, I never thought this would be possible. 

If you're wanting more "real" news ... check out the Bismarck Tribune, KXMB TV or KFYR TV

In case anyone is wondering ... I boxed up my favorite quilt fabric and sewing machine and moved them from the basement to the second floor. They should stay dry up there.

2 comments:

Jessica said...

We're praying for you guys. Keep us posted!

Don Hendricks said...

In the short time I have been following your blog, I have really come to enjoy you guys, and I pray you will be safe during this crisis. I biked to work in 70 degree weather today so its hard for me to picture your March blizzard. Be safe.

Don in AZ

Post a Comment