Saturday, March 21, 2009

I always wanted water-front property ...

Spring is here and in a big way.

With temperatures steadily climbing the last week, much of the snow has melted — creating lots of water. Lots of water. Lots of water in our yard.

When I got home from work yesterday, I found that we now had water-front property. Not good, if that's not what you're supposed to have. We're lucky that the house and basement stayed water-free. But, nevertheless, I was not comfortable with that much water less that a foot away from a basement window well. 

So, with shovel in hand, I went to work.

I took these photos about half-way through my water rerouting project. I was a bit too nervous to be snapping photos before I made some serious progress.

DSC_2551
Looking toward our house from the south ... we now have a babbling brook.

DSC_2556

DSC_2560
This is the basement window I was worried about. When I got home, the water was roughly a foot away from the bottom lip of the window well.

DSC_2567
Our back yard. Oh, I mean lake.

DSC_2569
Well that concludes the water feature tour.

The water is still slowly flowing away and I couldn't be happier. :)

Our neighbor's yards flow into our yard, so I can only hope that the water is flowing away faster than it is flowing in. I think it is.

Adding to our water situation, we're supposed to get rain this weekend. And we're in a blizzard watch for Sunday and Monday. Crazy weather.

No comments:

Post a Comment