Saturday, March 28, 2009

What would you pack?

I've seen the scenario. 
You've got 30 minutes to pack and leave your house. What do you bring?

I always knew I'd pack things like photographs and important documents, but what I didn't realize was that, in the heat of the moment, I'd also pack some very obscure things. 

Along with the predictable: computer, external hard-drives (where my photos are stored), cell phone, clothing, toiletries, and safe deposit box; I also packed two jugs of juice, my college diplomas, a box of popcorn, my knitting bag with projects, a pillow, six quilts, a camping lantern (with extra propane),  two flashlights, and a bottle of wine. 

Packing both the flashlights was a big mistake because I ended up needing them after I turned off the power to our house. doh! We actually turned the power off twice because the first time we flipped the main breaker switch, we accidently left the garage doors open. So, we turned it back on, closed the doors, and then flipped the switch a final time. All done in the dark. So instead of using the flashlight, I had to make my way through the house, down to the basement, into the utility room, find the breaker box, flip the switch, and then get back upstairs and go outside. Twice. In the dark. Dumb, dumb, dumb.

I wasn't the only one packing strange items ... I know a fellow evacuee who packed a swimsuit because she knew they'd be staying at a hotel with a pool. But she forgot to pack socks. Her husband packed a bottle of wine. 

There's just nothing like being prepared.

You've got 30 minutes to pack and abandon your house. What would you save? (must fit in a car)

---

On another flood note, Corey's car had been running rough the last few days. Fearing that he had water damage to his intake or engine, he took it in to the shop. Thankfully, they found that while it didn't have water damage, it had some ice built up around the engine. They thawed it out and it's good as new!

I'm sure you've all seen it on the news, but Fargo, ND, is experiencing some serious flooding danger. Please keep them in your prayers. We have lots of friends that live in or near Fargo, and after my flood scare, I'm terrified for them. 

3 comments:

Jill said...

GREAT question!!
I would pack our family pictures, mementos from our wedding, my Bible, my doll from when I was little, a suitcase of clothes, my computer, my flute, and the painting that my husband did for me. I think that's all...I'd probably do what you did, though, and grab random stuff that seemed to make sense at the time! :)

Cheryl Arkison said...

I've thought about this because I fear fire. Although, in a fire I would just get out of the house with my girls, man, and dogs.

Quilts, photos (stored and digital), camera, laptops, family, my daughter's blankies and a few special stuffies, love letters, and my jewelry (Hubby has given me some nice pieces).

Glad you are back home now.

Jessica said...

Okay, I've been thinking about it and this is hard because so much stuff is stored in the rafters of our house and I would have no idea how to get it while managing the kids if Justin wasn't home...but if he was that would make it easier. In any case...

Pictures (we keep the CD back-ups all together in a place near the door. Laptop, camera, photo albums. Deck of cards. Pictures from childhood, Europe, the beginning of college, and High school (before I had a digital camera). A few treasured photos that other people have given us. I beautiful wall hanging Justin made me, a book I wrote for Justin when we were dating. Loads of kid stuff: baby books, mementos, "Loveys", special toys to comfort the kids and definitely some books and DVDs to entertain us and the kids. Portable DVD player (runs on car, batteries, or plugs in). Probably some of the professional photos that we have hanging in our living room too (luckily I stack the new photos on top of the old ones so they are all in the same frame so far).

Even though these irreplaceable things are the most important, I am sure I would also pack:

Lots of Diapers, change of clothes, change of shoes, socks and toiletries.

It sounds like a lot, but none of it is too bulky.

Post a Comment