Wednesday, March 25, 2009

A (good) update

Thank you so much for the prayers and good thoughts. They seem to be working. 

Corey and I stopped by our house at about 7 p.m. today and were pleasantly surprised to see two things: 1. the water is significantly lower than this morning when we evacuated. 2. our amazingly wonderful neighbors sandbagged the entire front of our house.

We are so blessed to have so many wonderful friends and family (and neighbors). We sincerely thank you.

Corey and his cousin Chad spent the better part of the day helping to fill sandbags at the Bismarck Civic Center, stacking sandbags around our basement window wells and moving more of our basement furniture to higher levels. Needless to say, he (and I) are very worn out.

We're still not out of the woods. There is an even larger ice jam just north of town (up river). If that breaks before they get the lower ice jam cleared, we'll be in for some serious problems. Also, there is another large snow storm forecasted for early next week which could mean more trouble.

Before we went over for our house check up, I picked up my camera and was able to snap a few photos. I must say that I felt rather silly taking photos of the "high water" after the 12-inch drop from this morning ... however when I look at the photos I'm still very disturbed at the amount of water on our street.

Since Corey and I thoroughly sealed our house, we don't have heat or water, so we're staying with my grandparents in north Mandan (one a hill! yay!) until we can be sure there isn't an immediate flood danger.

While looking at the photos, note that this morning when we evacuated, the water was to the tops of all the snow/slush banks in the roads (about a foot above where it is now). Also notice how well sandbagged our block is. 

DSC_2603
Looking north at the corner of South 12th Street and University Drive. About 1/4 mile from our house.

DSC_2606
A flooded ditch on University Drive.

DSC_2630
Standing in our driveway looking south.

DSC_2626
A neighbor hauling sandbags.

DSC_2622

DSC_2624
Corey standing toward the end of our driveway.

DSC_2632
Standing in our driveway looking to the end of the block to the north - someone decided to forge into the water by foot. burr.

DSC_2617
Looking south again.

DSC_2618
Our sandbagged house. Thank you neighbors!!!

DSC_2627
Looking out to the street from our house.

DSC_2634
Me. I'm super glad I have my trusty rain boots.

DSC_2638
At the corner of San Angelo Drive and Tacoma - looking east, toward my sister's apartment.

UPDATE: March 31, 2009 - additional photos added
Thanks to my friend, Kara Speidel who took these photos while helping neighbors sandbag :)

bismarck flood 2009 a
Our street - notice the water is completely over the sidewalks and median.

bismarck flood 2009 b
Our street intersects with this street at the far end of the block. Yikes.

bismarck flood 2009 c
It was a great day to own a pickup truck. This is the south corner of our street.

---
I just noticed this marks my 100th post ... what a whopper of a post. Jeesh.

No comments:

Post a Comment