Monday, November 24, 2008

'Domination before migration'

Go Kenmare!
My bonus sister (Corey's sister) Maria is on a North Dakota Class B volleyball team that competed in the state tournament last weekend. Not to brag or anything, but they are the defending state champions - woo hoo!

Corey and I drove up to Minot (where the tournament was being held) on Friday evening to surprise Maria (and Corey's parents).  This was my first "class B" experience. For those that don't know, Class B schools are the small North Dakota schools. This encompasses the vast majority of North Dakota schools since most are in small, outlying communities. I had been told that the Class B towns really 'rally the troops' for their teams and support them fully.

Well ... knowing this I went in with a few expectations, which were all fulfilled and exceeded. The fan support was unlike anything I've ever witnessed - and then some. It was truly amazing. It was really special being a part of the crowd, cheering on the team. 

Turns out, Corey and I were bad luck for the team – they went to five matches but lost the series. The next day they got a few wins to finish third overall. Good job!

p.s. the volleyball team created their own marketing slogan for the tournament, "domination before migration" ... their mascot is the honker (Canadian goose), which migrate south this time of the year. I though this was so cool! Go Honkers!

1 comment:

Moneik said...

I love the Class B schools! They play with such heart. My old high school won the SD state B tourney this weekend, the first time since my team won in 1996.

Post a Comment