Thursday, July 12, 2012

Independence Day 2012

July 3

The Independence Day celebration started on July 3 at the long-standing Doll and Pet Parade in Mandan, ND. The parade is held on Main Street, adjacent to the Art in the Park event with talented artisans and tasty food. I couldn't ask for a better setting.

DSC_0361

DSC_0362
These girls (and their humongus cats) made me laugh.

DSC_0366
The cutest kiddos: my cousin Lauryn, Kya, and my cousin Parker. Thanks to my mom and grandma for the fabulous wagon decorations.

DSC_0357
Lauryn

DSC_0373

DSC_0415
It was HOT. The kids cooled off with a celebratory lolly pop on the curb.

DSC_0424

DSC_0435

DSC_0438
Love those pink cheeks.

. . .

July 4 - Independence Day 2012

DSC_8536
The parade.
Every year we make a point to see the parade. It's a rare year that I sit through the entire thing (especially now with Kya along) but it's a must-see at least in part.

DSC_8546

DSC_0478
Did I mention it's a family gathering?

DSC_8541
I always cry when the band goes by. I have no idea why. Love it.

DSC_0494
More bands. My tear ducts got another cleansing.

DSC_0495
After the parade we spent the afternoon at the river and enjoyed the company of the Vander Vorsts ... and fabulous food too. In the evening we went to my uncle Bob's house to watch fireworks. Kya was scared of the "big booms" this year, so she cuddled up to Grandma Z and got a cozy cat nap.

. . .

Photos from Grandma Z's iPhone


IMG_1116
Kya's radish harvest (from her garden)

IMG_1124
Corey and I playing wiffle ball in our driveway

IMG_1130
At the Party on the Prairie Johnny Holm concert in Mandan on July 3 (Corey is in his official Mandan Party on the Prairie attire)

IMG_1141
"you know it'll be a fun night when your father in-law shows up with Cubans"
(at Party on the Prairie)

IMG_1168
Grandma and Grandpa Z, Corey and I took Parker and Kya to Raging Rivers (the water park in Mandan). We had a blast! It was a perfect way to cool off on a hot summer day.

No comments:

Post a Comment