Friday, July 9, 2010

Another year older

I turned 28 on Wednesday.

DSC_7429
We had a wonderful week of celebration :) I really enjoy having a birthday near Independence Day, it's always a time of fun.

On Wednesday Kya and I went out to the house to check on things. I noticed an abundance of flowers growing in our ditch, so I picked myself a little bouquet.

Last night when we were out at the house again, I got a closer look and wowie, there are lots of flowers in the ditch! Farm trucks drive along our road and I'm sure many of the "flowers" (mustard and alfalfa for sure) are products of their spilling, which is fine by me!

DSC_7464
Lots and lots of wild roses - no, wait.
These are Prairie Roses - the North Dakota State Flower!

From USGS: Plains Indians used the hips to heal many ailments, ate the hips in emergencies, used the leaves for tea and the new shoots for cooking. Today's uses include: potpourri, air fresheners, teas, vitamins A and C.

[note to self: good thing I didn't pick any of these]

DSC_7466
Some Yellow Coneflowers

From USGS: Plains Indians made tea from it to cure stomach and headaches, rattlesnake bites and poison ivy. It was also used as dye. Now it is being marketed for prairie restoration.

At this rate, I think I could open my own natural pharmacy out in Harmon!

DSC_7461
This is either a Black Eyed Susan or some sort of small sunflower.

DSC_7470
And this thing. I have no clue what it is. It's flowers look very similar to a giant dandelion puff, but the rest of the plant doesn't look at all like a dandelion. Any ideas?

While I was exploring the ditches, the cement crew was leaving and they spotted a snake on the road. They said it was a hognose snake. Thankfully, after some research, I found that they are not poisonous.

No comments:

Post a Comment