Sunday, October 4, 2009

Preparing for winter

Tomorrow night we're forecasted to get an inch of snow. SNOW!

Here in North Dakota, we do a few things to prepare.

We switch out our closets: take all the summer clothes out of the closet and put them into storage, and take out all the winter clothes. Summer and winter clothes are very different here, so it really does make sense to separate them.

We cook hot meals: soup, muffins, casseroles, chili etc. Today I cooked my favorite soup - California chicken tortilla.

I sew. This season, I'm blaming it on the "pregnancy nesting" ... but every year I kick-start my quilting hobby in the fall/winter. Photos of my latest project coming soon.


DSC_5294

And today, we had our sprinkler system blown out. Thanks to my Uncle Bob and Grandpa Dar, for the service! Bob happens to have an air compressor that he hooks up to the sprinkler system and gradually pushes out all the water with air. It makes lots of noise. If we didn't do this we'd have quite a mess in the spring - the water in the pipes would freeze, expand and crack the plastic pipes. Thanks again Grandpa and Bob!


DSC_5288
Our yard is giving it one last effort. A few brave plants are still blooming but most have already lost their leaves and are turning brown.

So I guess we're ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment