Thursday, January 10, 2013

Field Trip to the Livestock Auction

IMG_0642
Kya and I found our new favorite 'field trip' spot: Kist Livestock Auction, in Mandan.

On Wednesday's they have all-day feeder cattle sales – so my Grandma, Mom, Kya and I spent yesterday morning there and had lunch in the Kist cafe (yes, they have a cafe in a livestock auction!). 


I am a little embarrassed to say this was my very first time at Kist – a long-time Mandan landmark, and important part of the local farming culture and economy. Also, my Great Grandma "Dolly" once worked here – at the Kist cafe. 

It was intimidating, yes. I know zilch about livestock – in fact, I had to google what a "feeder cow" was ... my mom assured me it was different from a "feeder fish."

We met a nice cattle rancher (actually he knows my grandma) and he explained the process to us. He was auctioning his cattle that day and said he was very nervous about how it would all turn out – he had a lot invested in them with feed, care, and transportation. The schedule was running late so he was anxiously waiting for them to come out. My mom asked how he'd know when his cattle come out and he said, "oh I'll recognize them, just like someone would recognize their children."

I learned so much in such a short amount of time.

The visit was incredibly interesting, and quite fun!

IMG_0660
Inside the sales ring

IMG_0658
Kya was fascinated (and fit right in, in her cowgirl attire). A new batch of cows would come in every few minutes and she would greet them with a wave, a "moo," and a smile.

IMG_0645
Kya has a genuine interest in farming, and I'd like to encourage that (even if horses terrify me).

IMG_0662
A fun 4-generation field trip!

IMG_0654
Anyone need some happy hogs?

IMG_0655
Lunch at the Kist diner was delicious and was definitely an authentic experience – smell of manure and all. Kya and I shared a pizza burger and bowl of knoephla soup, and our total was under $7. Great deal!
This is the same cafe that my Great Grandma "Dolly" once worked at.

. . .

A buffalo/bison auction will be held at Kist next month - I plan to attend that one - I think it will be quite exciting to see those large animals in the ring.

No comments:

Post a Comment