Sunday, September 25, 2011

The High Chair

We have avoided using a traditional highchair at home. Not necessarily on purpose but more that we just didn't have the need for one (although I did like not having to buy a huge hunk of hard-to-clean plastic). Anyway ... when she was just a wee little thing, Kya used a Bumbo seat with tray. When she was a wee bit bigger we used a Chicco clip-on travel chair that my mom found on Craigs List. Up until last week we got by with the clip-on chair just fine but Kya seemed to have outgrown the Chicco chair. Not in size or weight (not by far!) but in maturity. I think she wanted a bit more freedom and room to wiggle. She's a great eater and is quite tidy so I saw no reason to object. Also, I like to use a table cloth on the table, and a clip-on chair makes that quite difficult.

So, down to the basement I went.
I'm so excited to say that Kya is now using an antique wood high chair that I once used. My sister Caitlyn used it too. So did my dad. And so did his dad. This is now a four-generation high chair.

DSC_4287
The chair seat and base had been separated in storage and shipping, but I easily fixed that with a bit of wood glue. I also attached four felt pads so the chair doesn't scratch our floor.

DSC_4320
For safety, I sewed a seat belt for the chair. I made it with extra quilt binding pieces and a plastic buckle from Joann Fabrics.

DSC_4284
It's a keeper.
When did Kya grow up?!

No comments:

Post a Comment