Saturday, May 28, 2011

Missouri River Flood 2011: part 3

I've been delaying posting about the flood because the news is not good. And getting worse.

There was a news conference scheduled for 1:30 pm today but it was just delayed until later today at 5:30 pm. I hope that is good news but with the history of these meetings, I know it is bad news. The rumor is that the Corps will be letting 120,000 cfs (or more) out of the dam by Wednesday. That is drastically more than previously scheduled. This means many things to many people, but among them: the protective levees might not be completed ... or even started by Wednesday ... leaving thousands of homes unprotected from a raging river.

Rumors are running wild and I really don't know what to trust.

One thing I do know is that everyone is needed to help fight the food. Corey is out on day three of HARD work. I am just trying to keep enough calories in him to keep him going. I am home taking care of Kya with my mind heavy about all the people that will be affected by flood water. It is just way too dangerous to have Kya in tow near any of the flood prep areas. I put a call out to friends that I would watch their baby/child if they are evacuating/sandbagging/helping. Hope I can help in some way.

Please keep Bismarck-Mandan and everyone battling hard times in your prayers.

. . .

Here is a YouTube video that accurately shows the atmosphere/activity around Bismarck/Mandan. The video was taken the evening of May 25 (three days ago). Just try to imagine the heightened scene today.



. . .

A few photos from our day of sandbagging on Thursday.

DSC_2134
The Altringer house flood barrier on Lakewood Bay. (they are family)

DSC_2131
Neighbors of the Altringer's (looking east). I've seen lots of different types of levees being built. Some are even made with round hay bales (a total shot in the dark wether it will work or not). People are desperate.

DSC_2125
A small section of sandbag central at the Missouri Valley Fairgrounds. Corey and I waited for over an hour to get one pickup load of sandbags, which we delivered to a friend's home in south Bismarck.

DSC_2123
The long line of cars waiting for sandbags.

1 comment:

Kara said...

Praying for you and your families and that your homes are protected!

Post a Comment