Monday, June 15, 2009

Summer = rain

It seems that with my declaration of summer, the sky opened up and decided it was time to pour on us.

In short: I've never seen it rain this hard. Ever.

My uncle and aunt own a bowling alley here. The roof collapsed tonight (I assume, under the weight of the rain downpour) when it collapsed, water rushed in and flooded the building. It's my understanding that nobody was hurt, which is definitely a blessing. I'm told that there are about three inches of water covering the floor - including the lanes. That's very bad news for the bowling alley, and for my aunt and uncle.

...

Our yard looks eerily similar to the great thaw of 2009 – except without the snow.

I think North Dakota's 2009 year will go down in the history books.

...

Update - Tuesday, June 16

Check out reader-submitted Bismarck Tribune photos of flood water in and around Bismarck. The Bismarck Tribune reported that areas around Bismarck-Mandam had 3-7 inches of rain, hail and possibly a funnel cloud. I think we got about 3.5 inches of rain at our house, no hail (thankfully).

Corey and I had a little bit of water in our basement this morning. It looks like our sump pump couldn't keep up and for a brief time, the water flowed out of the hole. Luckily only a small area of carpet was damp. Unfortunately, my grandparents and my grandma's sister (all who live in northwest Mandan) have water seeping into their basements.

1 comment:

Don Zundel said...

Erica,

Did I hear you got over 6" of rain in a very short time (one hour)? That is unbelievable.....

Dad

Post a Comment