Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Kya eats.

On Sunday we fed Kya rice cereal for the first time. She liked it but I don't think much made it in to her tummy. Kya was eager to get food in her mouth, but once the cereal mush hit her tongue, she didn't know what to do with it.

Anyway the past few days we have been helping Kya practice with the cereal. Great Grandma Rene even got to feed Kya (she babysat Kya for us last night during our date night).

I am happy to report that today Kya mastered the skill of keeping food in her mouth ... and less on the bib/hands/face/hair/clothing/counter/chair.

Only Kya knows if it is a coincidence to her good eating or not, but this evening I added some "spice" to her mush. It has been a joke since pregnancy, that I eat an abundance of spicy foods. A lot. Almost every meal. If it isn't spicy enough, I add extra hot sauce. Thankfully, it has never seemed to bother Kya or I. Tonight, Kya's "spice" was pureed carrots. And not just any carrots. Great Grandpa Andy's special garden carrots.

DSC_8274
My recipe for Kya's favorite baby mush is quite simple: organic baby rice cereal prepared as normal, with some pureed carrots mixed in. I think I will call it creamed carrots.

Kya ate the first serving. The whole thing - wow this is a first!
Then she cried. She screamed as I was trying to prepare and warm the second helping.
Wonderful - I thinks he really likes this stuff.
Then I fed her the second bowl. The whole thing. I even scraped the bits from the edges of the bowl.
She fussed again.
I decided I didn't want an orange baby, so I switched to other feeding methods.

DSC_8277
We officially have an eater. A very impatient one.

As a side note - this is the first of what will probably be many posts about my adventures in making baby food. If you have any advice or stories to share - please comment :) thanks in advance.

1 comment:

Jessica said...

Ice cube trays are the perfect size for freezing pureed baby food. After they are frozen, put them into freezer-safe containers and they are good to go for when you need them :) Hope this helps. When I made baby food it was definitely better to do in big batches than single serving sizes.

Post a Comment