Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Fun on Mandan's Main Street

DSC_4317
We were on Mandan's Main Street bright and early on Saturday, July 4.

DSC_4323
First was the Mandan road race. My sister, my uncle Bob, and a friend of Bob's ran the 10K race. Memories were flooding back - through junior high and high school, we spent almost every weekend at road races around the San Francisco Bay Area.

DSC_4327
After all the runners took off, this little guy got scared and lagged behind a bit. It was really sweet. Slowly but surely, he eventually made it.

DSC_0666
I opted for playing tractors.

DSC_0653
Caitlyn came in first in our group.

DSC_0661
Then came Bob. This was his first race and he did a great job of pacing himself.

DSC_4344
Our three super stars!

DSC_0693
We cleaned up a bit and claimed our spot on Main Street for the parade.

DSC_0695
I wore my ridiculously large hat.

DSC_0741
Corey joined us. He was a Mandan parade first-timer. He was in for a fun time.

DSC_0698
Finally the parade arrived. The Mandan High School marching band was one of the first entries. My mom and I get a bit emotional at parades, especially when the music arrives. Yeah, we're sappy.

DSC_0707
And then there were horses.
DSC_0738
And cowboys. Big and small.

DSC_0704
This horse decided he needed to pee.
And he peed and peed and peed and peed. I had no idea a horse could hold that much liquid.
He created quite a flow down the gutter, disrupting all the parade watchers along that route.
Lucky for us, we sat across the street.

DSC_4363
Another horse pooped. Caitlyn though it was stinky. I agreed.

DSC_4368
The horse clean-up crew was quite creative. Free fertilizer! How's that for fun?
We were immensely thankful for their service.

DSC_0700
The rodeo clowns arrived and the parade fun resumed.

DSC_0717
What's a parade without candy?!
Or excited little kiddos?

DSC_0747
Or Santa and his sleigh? I can't decide if this is funny or disturbing. Or both.

DSC_4370
Who knew Mandan has their very own Golden Age Club king and queen? I sure didn't.

DSC_4376
Creative fun from a beef rancher.

DSC_4388
And then there were tractors.

DSC_4379
Big and small.
New and old.
And about 30 in between.

DSC_4383
Even a combine or two.

DSC_4386
My favorite floats are 'old man' bands on flatbeds. I especially like the accordions.
They're knee-stompin' fun, I tell ya.

DSC_0753
Parades are so special. I love all the smiles and colors.

...

July 4th: part two will be around soon.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I stumbled accross your blog on accident. Wow!

Post a Comment